What do you need to be a teacher in Thailand?
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Age: 21 years – 50 years. (ideally)
- Near native/native speaker of English.
- Ability and willingness to teach.
These are the minimum requirements. Meeting the above mentioned requirements would make it easier to find a job.
Types of teaching jobs in Thailand
- Public school teachers: By far, the most common type of teaching jobs available in Thailand. Teachers can be teaching nursery (Anuban in Thai), primary (Prathom in Thai), secondary and high schools. You must have a bachelor’s degree in any field and must get a post graduate diploma/degree to get a 5 year teaching license. When a teacher starts working at a pubic school, they get a temporary teaching permit valid for 2 years. As per the Teachers council of Thailand, a teacher can only get 3 temporary teaching permits. That gives 6 years for the teacher to get a qualification in “education” like a “graduate diploma in education/teaching” or a masters degree in education.
- Language school teachers: Language schools are private schools dedicated to teaching English, Japanese, Chinese and other languages. They are also profit oriented and are guided by commercial interests as well. To teach at a language school, one didn’t need to have a bachelor’s degree. However, that’s changing, it is mandatory to have a bachelor’s degree to apply for a work permit. A work permit is necessary to get a non-b visa. Language schools usually pay less than government schools, they also expect teachers to work longer hours sometimes on weekends too. Teachers are advised to carefully go through their contracts. Many foreign teachers in Thailand work part-time at language schools while working at a public schools.
- International school teachers: Teachers with work experience in public schools in their native countries (Europe, UK, USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand) with professional qualifications could get jobs at international schools. The salaries and working conditions at international schools in Thailand are way better than any other type of schools. It isn’t easy to find work at an international school. It is what every teacher should eventually strive for.